Monday, October 30, 2006

Fiber Trends Felted Clogs

Probably one of the popular classes I teach at the yarn shop is the Fiber Trends Felted Clog class. Each time I teach it, I get the urge to make another pair. This time I did, and now I have a Christmas gift for my son's girlfriend. I haven't made up my mind if I will felt them first or just for fun, give them to her this big. I'm afraid she might be insulted even though I'd do it for fun. Any thoughts?
Some of the reasons these slippers are so popular are:
1) They are warm.
2) They are comfortable.
3) There is little finishing.
4) The sole is double thick so wears longer.
One disadvantage is that they are extremely slippery! I tell students to use the puff paints that you can get in the craft stores and paint designs or dots all over the sole.
The top cuff is turned over and joined to the slipper with a 3-needle bind off. Two soles are knit and stitches picked up around the original slipper.
The second sole and the original sole are lined up and held together.

Knit through the stitches on both needles. For the cuff and one version of the sole, the stitches are bound off as they are knit. I'm making the version with a "bumper" so the stitches are just knit together; then another row is knit with some increases to compensate for the curves in the sole, then bound off.

I had to redo the knitting together row after these pictures were taken as I should have been knitting in the other direction-with the sole facing me.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, Blogger Partly Cloudy Knitter said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Partly Cloudy Knitter said...

I have made a zillion slippers too. And I have painted designs on the bottoms for safety and all.
But some people like them slippery.
http://snipurl.com/10uai
What wool do you like to use?

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Pooch said...

Without knowing the giftee, I do think it would be hilarious to give them to her unfelted. Watch her reaction for a while before she finds the enclosed felting directions.

Since you know her sense of humor, you'll make the best call on this. It is a great idea, though!

:)

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Susan (ZenKnit) said...

I vote for unfelted with instructions too!

One of my favorite patterns as well. Felted slippers are so wonderful. There is an interesting type with beads knitted in. Email me if you would like the link.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home