Friday, October 20, 2006

What I Did on my Vacation

I'm home from Boston, Maine, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, and Cape Cod. Since it was a bus trip and we drove about 2200 miles, I had plenty of time to knit, so this is what I did. (One sock was about 1/2 done when I left.)

The yarn for the red, green, blue, and yellow sock is Regia Jubilee Color and the yarn for the pink and gray is Austermann Step which has Aloe Vera and Jojoba Oil in the yarn. It is soft to work with and supposed to last for 40 washes, I think it was.


This is the heel I use on all my socks now-it is hard to see the details, but you can see that the color stripes continue around the heel without interuption as does the ribbing pattern. The heel was developed by Gerdine Strong to give a larger heel area in which to place designs. There is no heel flap, so you don't have the problem of picking up the stitches neatly without holes. The gusset is increased while knitting around the heel, then the heel is turned in the traditional way although it is done over more rows. I love the ease of making this heel, plus the continuity of the pattern of the yarn and the stitches and the way it fits. The directions are in the Fall 2003 Knitters. Note, the first 2 rows of turning the heel are incorrect, so check the errata in the next issue or on the website.

Oh! I had a marvelous trip-the weather was nearly perfect and the fall colors spectacular.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home