Thursday, August 31, 2006

MN State Fair


Today was our annual trip to the State Fair. Every year I say I'm not going to go, but once it is fair time, I'm usually there. It probably is in my blood-my dad loved the fair! Every year he took his vacation from his usual job and worked at the fair. He spent many years bussing in a food booth, then worked in his church food booth.
The place I spend most of my time is in the Creative Activities Building looking at the knitting entries and trying to figure out why the judges awarded the ribbons they did, which I can't. A couple of my favorite animals!A fun place to go is the butterfly exhibit. I had never been in it before we took 2 of our grandsons last year and they wanted to go in. I thoroughly enjoyed it, so had to go back this year-my husband even went in with me. I wanted a picture of some beautiful irridescent blue butterflies, but whenever they were not flying they held their wings closed. Another of my favorite places is Gem Mountain Studio, a jewelry shop in the grand stand. Boy, did I cause some excitement when I snapped a picture-no way did they want me to "publish" any pictures of their stand, so I'm abiding by their wishes. They have some of the most unusual cuts of gem stones, some mounted in unusual designs. A big disappointment this year as I did not find any that I liked enough to buy.
And of course, the food! I didn't eat much, but had deep fried jalepeno pepper cheese on a stick-very good-a brew brat which is a brat dipped in a beer batter and deep fried-also good-a dish of ice cream, a lemonade and brought home a favorite of mine, chocolate covered sunflower seeds!
Arrived home stuffed and tired!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Blogger Susan (ZenKnit) said...

I have given up on trying to figure out the ribbons. I think they spend too much time arranging the items - especially those "theme" displays. I would rather they put all of one group together and label them so we know what they are. Seems obvious, doesn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home