Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Now I'm Weaving!

As if my knitting wasn't enough to keep me busy, my husband gave me a weaving loom for my upcoming birthday. I've always had this desire to weave, but didn't know where to start. At the North Country Fiber Fest in Watertown, SD a few weeks ago I did some inquiring and fully intended to buy a loom, but the dealer was more interested in warping her own loom than answering any of my questions, so I went home empty handed. That didn't last long. I had heard Kelly Petkin on the KnitPicks podcast talk about weaving being a good stash buster for knitters, so I went on their site and watched some videos and ordered my loom. Even though the loom is made in Poland, it was sent from a distributor, New Voyager, in Georgia and was here in a week.
 
The directions said assembling the loom was easy. It only took me over 2 1/2 hours.
 This is the yarn I decided to use to make a scarf or two.
A few days later I had figured out how to measure the warp. Notice the book, instructions from New Voyager and the i Pad. New Voyager has excellent videos on all steps of the process, so I used those plus the other 2 resources. Maybe that's why it took me so long! The name of the multicolored yarn I'm using is "Brains" from Propaganda Zombie Yarn Club-and I really had to use my brains to learn all this new weaving stuff.
 All warped and ready to weave.
 My first attempt. The edges need some refinement and I later discovered that I was pushing the weaving together harder than I like, so I have loosened up. This end may just get cut off.

I am enjoying this, but it is not a fast project. Something different.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home