Saturday, July 21, 2012

I'm Still Buying Yarn and Knitting

There is not much to show for finished projects, but these booties are done.
The pattern is Churchmouse Stay On Booties and I hated it. Who would knit booties back and forth and put seams across the bottom and up the back. Plus, the bottom is so narrow, when a baby puts them on, the pretty garter ridge will now show as the foot will fill it in.
The yarn is Claudia Hand Painted fingering and is wonderful to knit with.
Needles: Size 1 1/2 or 2.5 mm


It looks like I didn't post finished pictures of Through The Loops Mystery Shawl. I was not real excited about the pattern, but loved the yarn.
The pattern was a mystery shawl so a clue was given each week for 5 weeks and is still unnamed. The reason I wasn't happy with the pattern as it was a pretty plain pattern and the increases along the center of each wedge is not real neat.
The yarn is All for Love of Yarn, another local yarn dyer. I can now say that as she moved closer to us and has attended the NW Burbs Knitting Group. The yarn content is baby camel and silk. I'm still thinking of frogging the shawl and using the yarn for something else.



Another shawl is now blocking and is just beautiful, but pictures have to wait for the 2nd test knit I've done this summer for  Aino Haikala from Finland. The patterns will probably be published this fall so you have to wait.

A yarn shopping trip turned out to be a rude awakening for my husband. Usually when I go to a yarn shop he'll just stay outside and walk around, but yesterday was just too hot, so he was present when the yarn was rung up and I paid. Since I used a Groupon, when we got outside he asked if what I paid was before the Groupon was applied. When I replied, "No" he said he hadn't realized how expensive yarn was. I could just see the dollar signs adding up as he thought about my yarn cave which is overflowing into the library. But here is the results of the visit to Stephen Be's.

This is the reason my spree cost so much, but it is so wonderful. It is All For Love of Yarn, Sumptuously Lace, 70 Baby Alpaca, 20 Silk, 10 Cashmere. Wish you could fondle it.


One of the podcasts I listen to mentioned this yarn, but I don't remember which one. Knit Circus? The label doesn't give any information as to where it comes from except it does mention La Jolla. This      is 100% superwash merino in a beautiful Kelly green.


  And of course I had to get some MadelineTosh sock.


My grand daughter saw my yarn cave yesterday and gave me quite a scolding. "Grandma, you have enough yarn. You don't need to buy any more." "Yes, but I have been using some of it." "Not as fast as you are buying it." She learned to knit yesterday and did go home with some yarn from the stash. She also brought up the end of life decision I should make about where the yarn goes when I die. I don't think I told her that I'm going to Stitches Market in August and I'm sure I won't come home empty handed.


Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Blogger Christine P. said...

I love your yarn cave! If I was your granddaughter - I will become the BEST knitter in the family (after Grandma) so I have a good chance of inheriting the cave!

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Grandma, you make me sound like such a horrible person! :(

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Red Hat Knitter said...

No, Kristin, you are a sweetheart! Just realistic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home