Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Technically Impaired

Yesterday I had the privilege of taking care of my great grand daughter for a couple hours. Here she is, now 12 weeks old. This experience showed me how ignorant I am of how to operate the items in use now for babies. Here's how my day went. It was time to give her a bottle. Every time I've taken care of Rylea before, they have left prepared bottles for me, but this time I was on my own. Luckily, I had asked how much she takes, so I could read the instructions on the formula can to prepare it. But, there was another piece that was supposed to go between the bottle and nipple-there were 2 kinds! Which one? Which side goes into the bottle and which end is up? Luckily, there was a dirty bottle assembled on the counter, so I could figure that out. Figuring out their microwave was not difficult, after I found the switch for the kitchen light so I could read the small numbers. The bottle came out, but it wasn't warm enough. Easy enough to change that, only to get it too hot. (I didn't use many bottles for my babies, nor were microwaves in use-we put the bottles in a pan of water which we heated until it was warm enough.) I remembered the old trick of holding it under cold water to cool it off. After feeding, the diaper change went fairly uneventful because I had used disposable diapers on my grandchildren so knew front from back. But then it came to the disposal! They have a diaper genie. I got the cover open, put the diaper in, but had no idea how to turn it into a diaper sausage so I just left it on top. Luckily it wasn't a dirty diaper. After a while, she was ready for a nap-I thought- so knowing she liked to fall asleep in her swing I tried that. What to do with all those straps for securing her in? I did figure that out after playing around for a while. Put the tray in front of her, and turn it on. Yeah, but how? I finally pushed the right button and got it to swing. When the time came to take her out, I tried reversing the process. But, it wouldn't turn off! That's OK, I took her out while it was swinging, I'd figure out how to turn it off later. I still chuckle thinking of me unlatching the tray and unbuckling the straps while she was swinging back and forth. I never did get it turned off, so resorted to taking out the battery. My grand daughter didn't laugh too hard when I told her!
Struggling to turn over. It's so frustrating!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, Blogger Partly Cloudy Knitter said...

You made me smile! I can't believe all the things I have learned in the last few years. I never did figure out the swing and the car seats are crazy, too.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I thought I was the only one who called the bag of diapers from the diaper genie a diaper sausage! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home