Monday, November 05, 2007

Spring Blossom Shawl

The shawl is done! Here it is unblocked.
And here it is blocked! What a difference!

I've talked before about the pads I'm using for blocking. They are called "Connect-a-Mat" available at Target. They are rubber mats, shaped like puzzle pieces which fit together like a puzzle, and have number cut outs in each mat. Obviously, they're made for a child, but they work perfectly for blocking. I can block out my shawl on my kitchen counter so I don't have to crawl around on the floor and being rubber I can stick the pins right in. I did use blocking wires for this shawl. When it is pinned out, I can lift the whole thing-carefully-and put it on the floor out of the way.
Pattern: Fiber Trends. Spring Blossoms Shawl by Eugen K. Bugler
Yarn: Gems by Pearl distributed by Louet. 100% Wool
Needles: Circular size 4.
I discovered the KnitPicks Harmony needles and used those to complete the shawl. I just love them! I ordered only one tip and one set of cables, started knitting on this shawl and before I'd finished the round I was on the computer ordering the complete set of interchangeable needles. (There were close to 700 stitches on the needle.)The points are sharp and nicely tapered and the wood very smooth so the stitches slide beautifully. I did have some difficulty with 2 of the cables-one wouldn't screw tight into the needle and the other one had a nick in it which caught on the yarn. Also had trouble with one of the tips-it didn't screw together tightly, leaving a small gap between the tip and cable. I notified KnitPicks and they replaced them for me.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 6:10 PM, Blogger Partly Cloudy Knitter said...

That shawl is beautiful! and I love it when you show the before and after blocking. Just stunning.
Oh, and I really like the entrelac bag too ;-D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home